Sunday, January 9, 2011

São Paulo:Brazil

well.. I have arrived :D

I got to São Paulo around noon on the 6th very tired from not getting any sleep on the plane the night before haha. The place we are staying is a small YWAM base its basically one house, a chapel/classroom and another building that I believe is a guys bathroom/ other classrooms maybe. Where we are staying there are lots of trees surrounding the house so its nice and cool and blocks us from the Brazilian heat :) Brazil is very tropical so it is humid and sunny during the day and usually showers late afternoon/ evening.. Sao Paulo is a city of about 15 million... their largest slum holding 1 million of those people. our hearts have already been burdened for the homeless in the area and we hope to do some ministry with them in the future. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a Bazillion looks like. This city is one of the most diverse I've been to. Some are dark, some are white some have African American decent while others look Japanese. It's been neat getting to know the culture/people. They are all very friendly :) So far we've have lots of orientation and getting to know the area, tomorrow starts our photography class and "normal" schedule. There is a team from Nashville staying here as well so it is very crammed.. its taken a little bit to get used to community living again :) Adjusting to being away from home/ the comforts of your normal life again was harder than expected.. knowing I wont be going back for a very long time I think made it worse. I'm still trying to find my place and purpose here/on this team trusting in God during all the transitioning. We had some beautiful prayer time as a team and really got sort of a direction for this years Track Team.. I will post more about that later. Yesterday we took the subway and a bus and walked around down town for a bit..after standing in a 2 hour line to exchange our money haha quite the experience :) Not many people speak English here so that has been an adjustment as well.. but we have been learning some Portuguese :) its fun and I like being able to speak a few phrases here and there :)

This is my home for the next three months

the wildlife around base :) ..reminds me of home haha

a huge famous church that we found shelter from the rain in

No comments:

Post a Comment